Saturday, April 5, 2008

Desk, Keyboard, Pen

Watched: The Green Mile; Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; Dan in Real Life
Typing on: Diatec Filco Majestouch FKB104M/EB


I promised updates about the new desk, so:



The new desk is really three pieces: the hutch (top part with cabinets), the credenza (the desk space where my computer, monitor, lamp, etc. reside), and a mobile 3-drawer pedestal. The pedestal can be wheeled out a bit to provide additional surface space.

Of course, the purpose of the six-foot long desk space is to spread things out.


Up until today, I've been using a Kinesis Ergonomic Advantage Keyboard, which is very comfortable and easy to touch-type on, but is a bit too thick for the new setup. I discovered a specialty keyboard shop the last time I was in Akihabara, and spent a good forty five minutes testing the various display models--including a Happy Hacking Keyboard, which I found to be something of a letdown, given the hype and the price tag. However, I fell in love with another Japan-only keyboard: the Filco Majestouch. The Majestouch is actually a series of keyboards, all of which impressed me mightily. Unfortunately, the keyboard was approximately five pounds, and bulky--not something I wanted to lug back with me (along with ~25 pounds of doujinshi and other anime/manga paraphernalia) on the overnight bus to Kobe. (I did end up lugging back a metal airsoft gun, but that's beside the point.) Only recently did I find a website willing to ship a Majestouch to the U.S., which brings us to today:

It uses the brown Cherry keyswitches that most typing enthusiasts recommend (though I recently discovered that the Kinesis does too), but the typing sound and tactile quality are, for lack of a better description, utterly addictive. The anti-slip matte finish on the keys, overall heft, and, to top it all off, blue LED lock indicators (all Filco keyboards using Cherry browns apparently use the blue variety) made this a must-buy for me. One user on a keyboard forum describes this model as "a typist's nirvana"--and I'd have to say that, for the most part, he's right.

Oh yes--and the tiny computer that crept into the last few pictures is my 2G Asus EEE laptop, which is now my primary school computer, allowing the Vaio to assume the role of desktop computer. Both seem happy in their roles.

I've also been dabbling in fountain pens again, but I'll save the pics for next time.

No comments: