Monday, August 17, 2009

Transitions, Submissions, & Vows

Reading: David Anthony Durham, Acacia; Jack Campbell, Relentless (Book 5 of The Lost Fleet)
Playing: Street Fighter IV; Fallout 3 (Point Lookout & Mothership Zeta DLCs)
Writing: TSW, Chapter 2, v.30.0

With the bar over and done with, I plan to build and maintain some serious writing momentum over the course of the next year, rewriting and polishing Book One (codenamed: TSW), completing Book Two (codenamed: CotF), and preparing for this year's NaNoWriMo work, Wander. I also hope to be able to churn out around half-a-dozen short stories, with the goal of getting something published and building up to the membership requirements for the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. A part of accomplishing writing goals like those is telling others about them, so that, at least indirectly, those people will help to hold one accountable for meeting those benchmarks. Thus, this blog will see more regular updates--to the tune of at least one per week--to keep me honest and perpetually moving.

Also, on the subject of submissions and publications, I'm currently shopping my second law article right down the Washington and Lee listing, from Harvard at #1 to the fifty-somethings. There's a sizable block of law reviews that I've skipped, primarily because they require submissions via Expresso--which, at $2 a pop, I've decided to pass over for the time being. (While the article should net me at least $600 from the good folks at ASCAP via the Nathan Burkan competition, that egg has not yet hatched, so I'm loathe to spend any more money on publication than I'd otherwise have to.) So far, Yale, Georgetown, and a few others from elsewhere on the list have turned in their "thanks-but-no-thanks" notices, but more are almost certain to follow, so stay tuned!

No comments: