Saturday, October 3, 2009

Overclocked & Overdue

Re-reading: J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Redraft: Book One, Ch. 3, v.30.0

So it's been about two weeks since the last post. As could be expected, the lack of activity is mostly due to the fact that I haven't gotten as much work done on the redraft as I'd hoped--though with any luck, I might be able to make up for some lost time this weekend. If so, another post will be quickly forthcoming.

In other news--all of which, oddly enough, are computer-related--the new CPU heat sink I ordered from Amazon arrived this week, and after working up the courage to open up my desktop again, I removed the old stock heat sink and attached the new one. The new heatsink is nearly three times the size of the original, and required that I remove a vent tunnel from the side of my PC case in order to fit. At first, I was worried that I had done something wrong during installation, because the temperatures seemed to actually be a little higher than they had been with the stock cooler. However, after some digging through the BIOS, I realized the sink's fan was seriously underpowered, running at roughly 10% of its full RPMs. With a small tweak, things started to work smoothly, and I managed to improve my previous overclock (2.0 to 2.4 Ghz) to 2.66 Ghz, all with temperatures equal or better than they had been when the CPU was running at factory settings. Now other overclockers have apparently been able to crank this particular CPU model up to 3.0-3.2 Ghz without resorting to water cooling systems, but I found the system to be a little unstable--and running a little too hot--when I pumped the speed up to 3.0, with what I perceived as only a marginal performance boost over 2.66 Ghz settings. Moreover, at 2.66 Ghz everything from Photoshop to Fallout 3 appears to run just fine, the latter without the occasional drop in frame rates that I encountered at 2.0 Ghz, so I think I'm perfectly fine with the computer's current settings. At the end of the day, the desktop named Episteme now has the following stats:

Case: Antec NSK 4480B
Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM (775 Socket)
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2.0 Ghz (overclocked to 2.66 Ghz)
CPU Heat Sink: Thermaltake TMG i1
RAM: 3.25 GB (x2 2Gb Kingston PC2-6400 (800 Mhz))
Graphics: Palit ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256mb
HD: WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
External HDs: x2 WD MyBook Essential 3.5" 7200 RPM (one 500 GB, one 1 TB); Seagate Free Agent 2.5" 500 GB 5400 RPM
Monitors: x2 24" Monitors (
Gateway & Unbranded HP (refurbished unbranded, so it technically doesn't violate my moratorium on HP products); each @ 1920 x 1200 resolution)
Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless 87-key
FKBN87Z/EB w/ fake ALPS "fukka" keyswitches
Mouse: Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Tablet: Wacom Intuos4 Medium

I had been using what has, up to this point, been my favorite keyboard of all the myriad models that I've acquired and used over the years: the Kinesis Contoured. Its ergonomically cupped design, coupled with its brown Cherry keyswitches, really made it a powerhouse for a typist like me. The only thing that could have made it better was if it came in black Cherrys, which I've always found superior in tactility over the "tactile"--though I would call them mushy--browns. However, the Kinesis has a questionable build quality that makes it susceptible to nigh-inexplicable bouts of phantom input, especially around the membrane-type command keys at the top of the keyboard. Once before, an overactive keypad button rendered the keyboard nearly untypeable--it would convert several of the QWERTY keys into a makeshift number pad. Somehow, a thorough cleaning and unplugging/plugging of the keyboard's internals managed to bring it back from the cusp of death, and it served well for about six months. Then, when I was rushing to send an email before heading up to work, it started to actuate the Print Screen button over and over and over again. Now, on a normal computer, these incessant phantom keystrokes wouldn't affect functionality, but I've remapped that particular key to open up My Computer at a single button press, and so it resulted in me being interrupted every other second by a My Computer window. I'm going to try to clean it again in the hopes that the problem once again resolves itself, but even if it does, the unreliability of the keyboard makes me think it's future may lie in an eBay auction. When compared to the battleship-like build quality of Japanese keyboards like the Filcos, Topres, and Happy Hacking Keyboards, the Kinesis--like so many of our consumer goods--put U.S. manufacturers to shame.

On the bright side, the Kinesis's persnicketiness has enabled me to get to know my newest acquisition better, a Filco Tenkeyless with the newly revised "fukka" fake ALPS keyswitches. White ALPS keyswitches were renowned for their clicky-clacky feel--about as close to a buckling spring as mechanical switches have come--but, as far as I know, are no longer in production. Another "fake" ALPS keyswitch was previously available, dubbed "XM" by Filco, but it possessed a very balky feel, requiring too much pressure (even for a hammer-stroke typist like me) to be used effectively. The fukka switches are supposedly manufactured in the same facilities as the original ALPS keyswitches, and thus more closely replicate their feel (though I've heard from true connoisseurs that the original ALPS are still a touch better in tactility). purchased this keyboard based on my faith in the users geekhack.org forum, planning to resell my other "fake ALPS" Tenkeyless on eBay if I found the difference definitive, and their advice did not disappoint. This keyboard is a close second to the same model fitted with black Cherry switches, though it's quickly growing on me, and I am generally partial to clicky switches, the only (somewhat inexplicable) exception being blue Cherry switches, which just seemed too anemic to me, and somehow interfered with my usual typing tempo.

No comments: